Feb 23, 2012

How We Did It

The great thing about my customers is that they are full of wonderful ideas! I can never imagine what great cake request is waiting for me around the corner. So I was really excited when we were asked to make a horse cake for a birthday party recently. My client's only request was that the horse be a Palomino and we were free to add grass and lots of girly flowers. 

These types of custom made cakes take a lot of planning. So I always start with a picture of the desired shape. Sometimes I get lucky and find one just how I want it. Other times, I have to draw them from scratch. For the Palomino, I got lucky. This is the original picture I used, along with my calculated dimensions:


As you can see, I'm pretty specific when it comes to dimensions. But this only establishes my base and tells me the sizes of cakes that I need to cut. Once they're cut, I stack and fill them with the client's desired filling:


I know it doesn't much look like it, but that's a horse! All I have to do is carve and ice it into this:


As you can see, I did not attempt to make his head out of cake. I like to think we do some amazing things with cake at Buckhead Bakehouse, but defying gravity is one thing we haven't mastered yet.


The last phase is to simply cover it with fondant and add all the great details that bring the horse to life. And ta-da, our final product:



No comments:

Post a Comment